Thursday, February 17, 2011

1964 VW Kit Car

A few months ago..... Starting over, Many months ago Katie and I drove to a little town on the shore of lake Erie. The objective was to buy a 1964 VW kit car. I was going to finish the kit and use it as advertising for my business. That was in last summer and now that it is almost Spring I still haven't done much or hardly anything to the VW.........Until recently.

I set a goal to be in all the parades with my car this summer, so to set a goal I picked April 1st. That's a good date just to set one. The first thing I had to do was to find an engine for the VW. It had an original VW 1.2L engine from 1964. It even runs on a 6 volt system. That is old technology!




After some shopping in the paper for a few weeks with my time ticking away I found the perfect vehicle. A 1994 Toyota Corolla. Perfect for a number of reasons.
1: Kennedy Engineering makes an adapter kit that will install this engine directly to my stock VW transmission. No cutting or welding or anything.
2: The vehicle had hit a deer a few months ago and was no longer road worthy. However the engine still ran fine. This made the price of the vehicle very low. I bought the whole car for $200.
3: In West Virginia you have to travel far to get what you want. Even the closest Walmart is 35 miles away. This was an exception. This car was only a mile away. We picked it up and towed it here with a flat tire even.
So now we are going from a 1.2L carburated 1964 VW engine (45hp)  to a 1.8L fuel injected 1994 Toyota engine (126hp) Good start right?


So I ordered the kit from Kennedy Engineering. They make everything to order and custom for such order. The lady told me that it would be 5 weeks before they would have it done because they were moving locations to a bigger facility. That's ok because the buggy needs a lot of other work done to it. So I got out the credit card and went shopping. First I needed a radiator. The Toyota radiator got smashed in and was to big to fit on the VW. I ordered an aluminum racing radiator. The plan so far is to install the radiator and red cooling fan between the roll bar. The original VW kit never called for a radiator because the old engine was air cooled. No water.
After that I order new floor pans for the body of the VW. The old pans were rusted out. Other items in that list was, a high pressure fuel pump, a new clutch and pressure plate kit and a new 12 volt starter. That should be a good start. Now it's time to hurry up and wait.

1 comment:

  1. Derik talking: Looks like things are coming along awesome! I am starting my blog tonight. I will let you know what my address is!
    Jessica talking: Cool cool.

    ReplyDelete